Monday, May 31, 2010

Typhoon Shelter Crab

Under the Bridge Spicy Crab
Canal Road at Lockhart, 2573-7698

Tony Bourdain sampled this traditional Hong Kong dish (crab with soy, scallions, salt, fried garlic) for the first time at this waterside restaurant long ago in an episode of No Reservations. I have only eaten at Under the Bridge Spicy Crab ever since it was, well, under the bridge. Last time I went in 2007, it was quite a 30-seater hole in the wall and now it has expanded quite a bit with many full family sized tables.

My siblings and I indulged in some Spicy Crab, Snails in Chili Sauce, Fried Prawns in Salted Duck Egg Yolk, and Fried chives for LUNCH. We had limited meal opportunities in HK so we had to make the most out of it. My brother does a lot of food photography too so it is always good when going out with him because him and my sister will properly stage the food for me (while Nick is usually grumping about the food getting cold). Notice how the crab is perfectly placed. Well, it didn't come like that. All the chili and garlic was piled on top of the crab but my bro moved it around for me so I can get a better shot.

For the spicy crab, we ordered mild (because my brother comes here quite often and knows the spicy levels) even though we LOVE spicy food and it was still very hot. This is not for the faint of heart. The fried garlic and chili flavours were very powerful and provided just the right amount of crunch to the crab. Since there was no way that we could finish all the garlic, my brother packed it home so he can eat it with noodles over the course of the week. We are all such piggies!

My brother also had some weird suggestion about not eating the end tip of the snail after you pick it out. He said that's where the poop stayed. I figured if it were being cooked all together anyway, then the poop would be everywhere and thus I couldn't be bothered to bite off the tip on each of these little guys. And ook, I can still live to tell!

Typhoon Shelter Crab

Snails in Chili Oil

Fried Prawns in Salted Duck Yolk

Fried Chives

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails