It took me a long time to find a light for the living room. There aren't any outlets on the ceiling and just to get that wired would have cost a fortune. This lead me down the path to find the perfect floor lamp for the space. My criteria included:
1) black shade to echo the drum pendant lighting in the kitchen
2) modern and unique design to fit in with the rest of the room
3) something that would not compete with the candelabra already in place.
After searching high and low, I ended up with two contenders:
1) BDDW's tripod floor lamp which looked super sophisticated
2) Roll and Hill's Excel floor lamp by Rich Brilliant and Willing that was fun and casual