Sunday, July 25, 2010

Duck

Braving the duck on the barbecue a few weeks ago. It is not a type of meat we eat at home ever, although we eat it quite often when we are out at French and Chinese restaurants. These are the two recipes I used. Because I could not steam the duck (lack of roasting pan or large wok), the raw duck was simply poured with boiling water as per recipe 2.

Chinatown Steamed and Roasted Duck
Crisp Roast Duck

The result was a very tasty dish. The meat was very flavourful but it was not quite fall off the bone just yet. I think I needed to either pour more boiling water on the duck or properly steam it. The skin also wasn't quite as crispy as expected (Peking duck style was on my mind). It is most likely because the duck did not dry enough before barbecuing and that the skin was not pierced quite enough to let the oils out. Still, we managed to finish the whole bird between the two of us. Further reading showed that peking duck required an air pump and hang dry for 12 hrs. Probably won't be attempting that at home any time soon.

This was definitely a good attempt. It will make me want to try another duck recipe again. Duck, it's not so scary after all!







1 comment:

  1. Hello. I found your blog from your post on the Big Green Egg forum. I am going to cook a couple ducks today, on the egg I think. Thanks for pics, recipe, and insight. Matt.

    ReplyDelete

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails