Sunday, June 7, 2009

My Dad's Rice Dumpling 粽

The Dragon Boat Festival passed recently and my parents have a tradition of making rice dumplings. I used to hear the story about the festival a lot, but now, all I remember is that some dude committed suicide by throwing himself into the river because the emperor wouldn't listen to him and people would throw these rice dumplings and do dragon boat races so that the fish will be too distracted to eat his body.

Anyhow, my Mom would make the salted eggs as per recipe in my previous post and then my Dad would make the rice dumpling. He makes it just the way I like it, with no beans but heavy on other ingredients which include fatty pork, mushrooms, dried shrimp, dried conpoy (scallop), and of course, the salted egg yolk. It is amazing when all the pork fat and egg yolk melt into the glutinous rice. A little slice of heaven I would call it.

I didn't get a recipe from my Dad as I think I am not quite at that level of making these myself yet but here are some recipes from Smithsonian Mag and Eating China. My parents would give it to me frozen and then all I have to do is throw them in the water and let it boil for 30 minutes.

My Dad's Rice Dumpling 粽

My Dad's Rice Dumpling 粽

My Dad's Rice Dumpling 粽

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails