Friday, September 25, 2009

One good thing and one bad thing

Chinese hot pot rice has been on my mind for a while. It is actually not difficult at all to make and I will now have more reason to make it since it turned out so yummy. I used the Gourmet Traveller 88 recipe as a rough guide for Chinese hot pot rice (煲仔飯) but with one whole pack of mix chinese cured pork sausage, liver sausage, and pork belly and a few other modifications, so I guess it sort of makes it my recipe. As for the amount of meat, I should have only used half pack (and also slice the meat BEFORE cooking) but I thought I might as well make all of it. For my pot, I used 1 cup of rice with 1.5 cup of water. I coated the inside of the pot with oil as per instructions. After boiling for 3 minutes on high heat lid off, add meat and simmer for 10 minutes on low heat with lid on, 5 minutes on medium heat lid on (this is on gas stove). Keep an eye on the rice crust to make sure it doesn't burn! Mine burnt a little more than it should and this recipe should adjust for that. Put on green onions and drizzle dark soy sauce mixed with sugar. Such yummy fatty goodness. Love that rice crust. In Spanish, it's called Socarrat. I know because of that Paella restaurant we went to in NYC. I think the Chinese one is even better though. This crust turned out super crunchy and just the right amount of chewiness. I want it again as I am typing this post.

I read the Metro more often now since I have to take the TTC for a very very long distance. I found this Nikki Beach Chicken Satay recipe and thought I would give it a try. I used peppers instead of mushrooms and snow peas (just because i didn't have the 2 ingredients) and I have to say this dish didn't turn out all that great. It was too heavy on its own and especially heavy with that hot pot rice. The flavours weren't good either, kind of bland really. Last time I trust a recipe in a free newspaper.

Chinese hot pot rice (煲仔飯)

Nikki Beach Chicken Satay

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
Related Posts with Thumbnails